Sunday, June 1, 2008

I think he's trying to kill me...

No, not with the tongs. The food. For the last couple days we've been barbequing in our backyard. This is sort of our kick off to the Summer season. Well, I should say until the temp goes above 95 and we're forced back indoors just so we can avoid heat stroke. And I also should say that John barbeques, not me. Well, I do prepare the food--remove the silks from the corn and wash it, skin the chicken, cut the tiny red potatoes in half and fashion little tin foil packets for them to cook in. But John creates the fire and magic that is to become our dinner.

We're going retro too, breaking out the Smokey Joe and charcoals. We had a gas grill before and it just didn't taste barbequed. Not authentic. We've learned.

But now here's the problem (and you knew there was one coming.) We're trying to be healthy this year! Sure, we skinned the chicken and don't use butter on anything--haven't in months!--but still...it still seems like we're being so bad! And I mean a devious, horns on top of the head, "if I bite into another piece of corn that squirts juice into my husband's eye I will just ignite right here in a pile of brimstone ash."

Anyway, my point--and I probably don't have one this time--is that we are enjoying our backyard more and more these days. We love the weather as it is right now. Even with the freaky tornadoes we had two weeks ago, it hasn't really been all that bad. For now, life is good in the I.E. Who would have known that two kids from the beach and the OC could have such a great time right here in river city?

4 comments:

  1. I am drooling just looking at that food! I love that charcoal taste too! The gas grill just doesn't compare. I can tell from that pic your hubby has lost weight, so I am sure you two are doing something right! No reason to break out the devil horns yet! :) Oh, and squirting corn juice in your hubby's eye is just a dangerous side effect of corn. Maybe he should start wearing goggles or something, LOL :P

    -April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok now i'm hungry. We haven't even gotten spring yet, and you are in summer. I'm sooo bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny blog, and I love your writing style! Oh as your boys get older, you will realize that you will pretty much LIVE outside LOL! Makes for nice tans though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, that sexy dude with the tongs is really hot!

    OK, I'm that dude. You're too funny. However, we can always BBQ the Tofutti Beast.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete