Friday, May 30, 2008

Fill it to the rim...

I should preface this by saying I am a child of the 70s and a teenager of the 80s. My generation was inundated with more name brands--both new and improved--thoughout our formidable years than any other generation before. The nooks and crannies of my childhood were filled a Fun Size, Downy Fresh melange of colorful packaging, bouncy jingles and memorable catch phrases. I remember smiling happy blonde kids on TV demonstrating the latest toy that you just had to have. Personally, I didn't just want, I needed a Baby Alive, the new *metal* Easy Bake Oven and the newest educational robot called 2-XL. And I got them. Do I think my childhood was richer for the experience of whining until I got said toys? Yes. It taught me how to set goals and achieve them.

Now that my generation is in our thirties we are still being marketed to. In the most unsubtle ways I may add. I think it all started with Melt With You in a Burger King commercial in the late 90s. Now its even more pervasive. Its like my generation now fits the "can afford it" demographic and is being targeted commercially up the ying yang. Speaking of Target, don't even get me started about The Beatles songs being bastardized and used to sell yogurt-covered pretzels and bad Isaac Mizrahi off-the-rack potato sacks. Thanks, Jacko. And I am still reeling over the fact of hearing The The's This Is The Day in an M&M commercial. What's next?


I'll tell you what's next. They're actually bringing back old products from the 70s and 80s. Yes, the same exact items, just slightly repackaged and re-emerging onto the American market. No longer will you wish your hair still smelled of Salon Selectives. It can again. Miss Hydrox cookies? They're coming. Liked the way Underalls made your butt look under a skirt? Have no fear. And yes, you can once again fill it to the rim with the actual Brim.


Admittedly, there are some things I'd love to see again:


Grranimals. Matching and coordinating clothing, but not just for kids. For adults. And more notably, single men. Please do us all a favor and come out with a line for them. At least the marrieds have us wives telling them what makes them look retarded.


Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific Shampoo. Just once I'd like to tell that midget joke and have everyone in the room get it.


Jordache Jeans. I liked the little horse on the pockets. Plus after a few washings in hot water, it made my ass look about four sizes smaller.


And of course, and my personal favorite: The Epilady. It pulled the hair out of your legs one at a time but very quickly. It hurt like a son of a bitch but it worked. I'd just love to have one for nostalgic reasons. Okay, to threaten my husband with it, but that's only secondary. Honest!


Which products from the past would you like to see available again?

3 comments:

  1. I think I forgot about Jordache jeans until this post lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only they could bring back Gemco; I could go the store and buy all these wonderful products. Like the snoop snow cone machine made with real lead parts and 'Bag of Glass.' Oh wait, that's not a real product...

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or how about Zody's? Anyone remember that store? Ah, good times.

    ReplyDelete