Sunday, June 22, 2008

Talent Now Comes In All Forms: Small AND Pretty

Friday I left the kids with John and went out to The Grove in Los Angeles for Wicked Day in the Park. Stars of the theatrical production Wicked were there--namely Laura Woyasz who plays Glinda and Teal Wicks as Elphaba--singing a few songs. There was also opportunities to drink "Wicked-tinis" and "Ozmopolitans" at the bars, Popular and Age-Defying Gravity manicures given at the Amadeus Spa and some trivia games and an opportunity to meet some of the cast. Yours truly had a very self-indulgent day on her own strolling around, window shopping, enjoying the Wicked soundtrack being piped through the entire outdoor mall and getting hit on by no less than three guys! It was a very good day. I added a video at the right. Check it out!



One thing did strike me though. As I watched Teal and Laura belt out "Because I Knew You." Damn they're talented. And skinny. And pretty. Why does this combo always seem to go together? Okay, yes, you do get the occasional Liza Minelli and John Goodman in the lot but usually its the beautiful people who are blessed with the talent. Plus they seem so nice. Suddenly I can't help it. I feel like a toad.
As amphibious as I may be, I still managed to crack a smile and take a photo with John Rubenstein who plays The Wizard in the production. He's from the old school of acting, he was in the 70s show Family that I actually used to watch. So it was very cool to meet him. I also won a tshirt that I may be able to squeeze into in about 40 pounds. That'll be an exciting day. The label mockingly stated it was a Large but I think that's in Talented sizes. The rest of us have to do the math and figure out what the Beefy T equivalent would be and go from there. I do have to mention I met up with my cousin Wendy for dinner and coffees. That was a great time, we hadn't seen each other in years so it was nice to catch up. She says she's my personal stalker. That was cool. Now I know how Clay Aiken feels. Well, minus the crazy fans and the peaking at mediocrity.

So speaking of Small and Pretty. Between dinner and coffee we stopped by the book signing Chelsea Handler was doing at Barnes and Noble. And much to my personal pleasure she had Chuy with her! She calls him her little nugget and now I know why. They were both very sweet and friendly and Chuy even signed my book as well. I hear she takes him wherever she goes. Like a Vuitton purse. Only this little accessory drives a Toyota Corolla.See? Talent does come in small and pretty. Maybe not inside the same body but as long as they're attached at the hip, it counts. That was my Friday.

1 comment:

  1. Diane, I love her show and the Little Nugget! Joell & I watch t all the time!! lol Great pic!

    ReplyDelete