Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Whole Lotta Shaking Going On

I am guessing you heard we here in Southern California experienced a pretty strong-ish earthquake yesterday. A 5.4 magnitude. Not terribly scary but not the same "I'll-just-sleep-through-it" mild tremor either.

Just wanted to reassure our friends and family across the U.S. that we are absolutely okay and doing fine. The epicenter wasn't that far away from here so we felt it pretty strongly. The boys and I were home alone and I gathered them together and stood under a doorway. Afterward, I sat Sean down and explained what it was and what he should do in case it happens again, especially when he's at school. He looked very concerned and said, "Mommy, you saved me!" And he stayed right close to me for a good hour after that. What can I say, he's adorable.

So now the USGS people like Kate Hutton are warning that there is a stronger one coming that they've been calling The Big One for years. Trouble is the San Andreas Fault travels pretty much right under our feet and I think we need to move pronto. I wouldn't care if it were Santa Monica or Seattle, we just can't wait for The Big One to put a fire under my ass to do it. Some scary stuff, Batman.

1 comment: